Re: [News] 4,000,000 Welsh Children to Use Windows E-mail

The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
><mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:14:46 +0100
><67l7n4-s19.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 20 July 2007 18:14 : \____

>>> The headers change too much. You won't lose much by dropping OE altogether.
>>> Only hit-and-run provacations and trolls ever use that thing.
>>>

>> One argument has been that someone considering using Linux might well
>> turn up using OE, but then, anyone seriously considering using linux
>> would be unlikely to come to cola for advice, in my view.
>>

> Not sure Usenet is the best of venues for platform
> evaluation. :-) Of course, the Web has its own issues --
> one might have the perfect solution for device XYZZY on
> OS ABCDE, but can't find it.
>
> Of course, there are a number of newsreaders -- Bat comes
> to mind for Windows, for those so inclined, but one can
> also get slrn, trn, or tin under Cygwin.  On Linux slrn,
> trn, and tin are available and one can also go with Pan, or
> simply use the Google gateway, which is not the prettiest
> of gateways, but it works for the most part.
>
> I'd frankly have to look to see what's out there, but
> there are lots of options for newsreading.  Some of
> them even format the articles correctly. :-)

I used to use a copy of slrn natively on Windows a long time ago, but
I've no idea if it'll still be supported.  This is one of the risks with
using free software on legacy platforms, of course - best just to stick
with Linux.