Re: [Linux] Yet Another Linux-based Ultra-mobile PC Makes Its Debut

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Saturday 09 June 2007 21:13 \__

> dApUnkA wrote:
>

>>> Intel ditches Vista for its mid-range UMPCs
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://forevergeek.com/news/intel_ditches_vista_for_its_mid-range_umpcs.php
>> Seems to me that Linux is becoming the de facto OS for mobile
>> platforms. Psion, embedded systems, now these things.

It is indeed becoming/already is the de facto standard for most devices and
embedded designs, based on articles that quote analysts and field
professionals.

>> And I think the market for small portable devices has a lot of growth
>> in it.  They're fashionable and useful.

The modularity, compactness, and flexibility of Linux is muchly needed when
there are size, consumption and purpose limitation. No monolithic, rigid,
and uniform binary can ever thrive here.

> I really hope this spurs a movement to start ditching WinMedia standards
> and adopt at least Real streaming, if not Ogg, mpeg, etc al.

That will come too. People become more aware of these things when a
punishment-imposing technology (including formats) does its damage. How many
people are bound to lose their entire iTunes collection in years to come?

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
Mem:    514480k total,   477048k used,    37432k free,     4648k buffers