[News] [Linux] Yet Another Linux-based Ultra-mobile PC Makes Its Debut

UMPC News : EB presents Menlow-based UMPC platform.

,----[ Quote ]
| The device will run Linux (presumably one of the distributions that
| comes out of the Intel MIDIA project) and will contain advanced
| communication hardware such as Mobile WiMax and HSDPA. GPS will
| also be thrown in. It has a 4.8" 'high resolution' screen.
`----

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=674

About half a dozen Linux-based UMPCs have made their first appearance in the
past few months. Linux is said to be the future for such miniature gadgets
and Ubuntu will join the bandwagon in October.

Related:

UMPCs Take Different Tacks

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, the PepperPad represents a solid, Linux-based portable platform
| especially for applications that will require text input. For this, it does
| much better than most other UMPCs I've had my hands on.
`----

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=15654

Intel praised for backing mobile Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Gartner, the chip giant's switch to Linux for mobile
| internet devices moves the personal device argument away from
| Windows and platform discussions towards web technology.
`----

http://www.pcmag.co.uk/vnunet/news/2188454/intel-wins-praise-backing

Intel ditches Vista for its mid-range UMPCs

,----[ Quote ]
| As if it wasn't hard enough for Microsoft, and hardware manufacturers
| to convince consumers that we need another portable device, the choice
| has now become a bit harder because Intel is going to choose to sell
| its mid-range machines with Linux, instead of Windows Vista.
`----

http://forevergeek.com/news/intel_ditches_vista_for_its_mid-range_umpcs.php

PepperPad pleases pair of publishers

,----[ Quote ]