[News] [OSS] A Look at Asterisk@Home/Trixbox, Vodafone Spread VoIP FUD

VoIPowering Your Office: Trixbox, the Complete PBX-in-a-Box

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been awhile since we had a look at Trixbox, which used to
| be Asterisk@Home, and which was really a business-grade PBX,
| not a hobbyist's toy as the name implied.
`----

http://www.voipplanet.com/backgrounders/article.php/3681236

Vodafone says VoIP is 'expensive' and 'unsafe'

,----[ Quote ]
| Vodafone is telling customers that VoIP services are insecure -
| even as Sky News is reporting that VoIP calls threaten our war
| on terror because such calls can't be intercepted.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/07/voip_continues/

Another case of self-serving FUD. Global warming, security, stability,
Internet risk, peer to peer...

Related:

Too late to discredit open source, advocates say

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's too late," exclaimed Winston Damarillo, founder and
| chairman of software development firm Exist Global, in an
| interview with Computerworld Philippines. "Open source
| is all over the place."
|
| [...]
|
| Anson Uy, president of Touch Solutions (a Red Hat Linux company),
| earlier on broke the news to Computerworld Philippines about the
| alleged "funded missions" by some software firms to discredit open
| source, although he did not identify any company.
|
| Anson revealed among the top three actions against FOSS are being
| done through "sponsored studies, piracy of open source developers,
| and bold press releases."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/030607-too-late-to-discredit-open.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/2bj969

'Puppets' Emerge as Internet's Effective, and Deceptive, Salesmen

,----[ Quote ]
| Each is an example of "astroturfing," or the attempt to create the
| appearance of a grass-roots buzz for a product or service. "Trolls" are
| users who enter online discussion forums solely to bash users or products.
|
| When most people hear "sock puppet," they think "Lamb Chop," the stocking
| sidekick of the late ventriloquist Shari Lewis. For guerrilla Internet
| marketers, however, a sock puppet is a false online persona, a virtual sock
| meant to conceal one's identity. It usually takes the form of a second
| account set up by an existing user under another name.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/06/AR2006100601742.html?nav=rss_technology

A Wake-Up Call to Microsoft's PR Team

,----[ Quote ]