Re: [News] [Linux] NSA-free SELinux Has New Release; Red Hat Spinoff Boasts Simplifications

In article <f49v43$goc$01$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Peter Kohlmann <peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > I spotted that one paragraph a few months ago. Prior to that, people would
> > argue that NSA's involvement in SELinux imposes no dangers because the
> > code is out there to view and analyse. But assembly? I mean, come on...
> >

> Yes. Where is the problem?
> Assembly code is about as easy/difficult to read as C-code
> Granted, there are not as many people who /can/ read it, compared to C/C++
> But that does not mean that there are none

SELinux rules aren't written in assembly language.  Some writers have
used a comparison to assembly language because SELinux rules operate at
a low level.  It might take many rules to express a policy that you
could verbalize in a short sentence or two.

Perhaps a better comparison would be between SELinux rules and
Sendmail's configuration.  I don't think anyone would say Sendmail is
configured in assembly language.  That's the same situation with SELinux.

> > Who are they kidding? From the land where wiretapping is as acceptable as
> > opening one's private snail mail...

That's an amusing complaint coming from a Brit.  At least over here we
don't have cameras all over the place watching our every move outside.

--
--Tim Smith