Re: [News] [Linux] Ubuntu Founder Does Not Believe in Google's Motives; Microsoft Still Just Words, No Action

__/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Thursday 07 June 2007 17:47 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Google - Don't be evil, don't be too evil, just drop it
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Shuttleworth does not think that the people at Google are immune to
>> | that element of human nature, and that they may just abuse their
>> | tremendous market power.
>> |
>> | "We have already seen how they went from 'Don't be evil' to
>> | 'Don't be very evil' to 'lets just drop that'," Shuttleworth said.
>
> I've seen many cases of "Microsoft Fever" at Google.
>
> The latest stock kiter is "Google Gears" -- which is a javascript based
> data cache.
>
> Great -- it's the same thing everyone's been able to do with JSON for
> years now -- but some *Genius* at Google /productizes/ it and suddenly
> it's a Google Thing.
>
> Where's the innovation?
>
> Not to be found -- but raiding the web for stuff and sticking the world
> "Google" in front of it...well, sounds like our old friends are up to
> their tricks...

Indeed. But yesterday I also read a discussion about the ways an O/S layer
can 'interfere' with this mechanism (not for the first time). There will
probably be some legal fights in the future. Just recall the DoubleClick
"antitrust" call. Bullies don't go down easy...

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)