[News] [Linux] Looking at the Xadros Deal and Finding Shades of SCO

Microsoft/Xandros patent-pact deja vu

,----[ Quote ]
| Once more we have Microsoft pledging that it won't sue Novell -- excuse
| me, Xandros -- Linux customers for violating its IP, specifically
| patents. What patents? Determined how? Violated in what way? We don't
| know, and Microsoft still isn't telling.

Why did Microsoft and Sun support SCO?

,----[ Quote ]
| Nowhere does the exhibit explain in any detail exactly what SCO IP
| was hidden within Linux. Does that sound to you like the sort of
| vague patent claims made by Microsoft in regards to its recent
| patent deals with Novell and with Xandros? It does to me.

A cry from Xandros: please, take note of us

,----[ Quote ]
| One, that Microsoft has been emboldened by the fact that the last
| call draft of GPLv3 does not penalise Novell. A bit of compromise
| on Richard Stallman's part has been interpreted as weakness.
|
| Two, Redmond wants a test case to see whether Stallman's statement -
| that GPLv3 will ensure that any and all patent deals will backfire
| against Microsoft - will be tested sooner rather than later.
|
| And three, that Redmond still believes that the old policy of
| spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) will continue to
| keep the cash registers at Redmond ringing.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/12685/

Is Microsoft winning the FUD war in the board room?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=326