[News] [Rival] SCO and Microsoft Think Alike, Tried to Cash on from Linux 'Sales'

Deposition of Darl McBride in Novell: Dreaming of Billions From Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| But the SCO dream as I see it is simply this: they'd like those
| volunteer Linux programmers, who didn't charge one thin dime for
| their wonderful code, to, in effect, support SCO for life, based
| on alleged, but not specified, "infringement" that no one is
| allowed to fix. Does it get lower than that?

That is precisely what Microsoft is trying to do at the moment. It's going
mad though because GPLv3 will prevent this. Prepare for some very angry
Ballmer rants (a shriek of desperation).

Related:

The Crazy Ivan [Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]
| Why is Microsoft cranking the rudder hard over? They aren't talking, but
| I'm guessing it comes down to General Public License (GPL) version 3.
| GPLv3 is still in the formative stages, but it could prohibit mixed
| marriages like the one between Microsoft and Novell. If GPLv3
| happens, Microsoft's lever into the corporate Linux market could
| get frozen. Novell (and by extension, Microsoft) will have to comply
| with its terms to take advantage of component technologies developed
| under the license. Unable to do that, Microsoft will be left with an
| aging (and ultimately incompatible) flavor of Linux.
`----

http://reddevnews.com/columns/article.aspx?editorialsid=1783

Novell: Microsoft's Halo Only Stretches So Far

,----[ Quote ]
| In the two quarters since its hackles-raising deal with Microsoft was
| signed in November, some 49,000 SUSE certificates have been activated.
| They are worth $91 million. That's 38% of the five-year $240 million
| agreement, which has no cap. Microsoft could buy more.
|
| Unless of course the GPLv3 intervenes and the tentative grandfather
| clause currently protecting the deal gets dropped.
`----

http://websphere.sys-con.com/read/383669_p.htm

Are Microsoft and the FSF heading for the mother of all court battles?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/06/are_microsoft_a.html#comments