[News] [OSS] Free Books Distribution Shows Viability of Profitable Free Software

Free Downloads vs. Sales: A Publishing Case Study

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of our continued effort to understand the impact on book
| sales of the availability of free downloads, I wanted to share some
| data on downloads versus sales of the book Asterisk: The Future of
| Telephony, by Leif Madsen, Jared Smith, and Jim Van Meggelen, which
| was released for free download under a Creative Commons license.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/06/free_downloads.html

This shows why companies like Red Hat can not only survive, but also do well.

Related:

Microsoft Exec Admits That Company Benefits From Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070312/165448.shtml