Re: [News] [OSS] Microsoft Completely Fails to Understand "Open Source"

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 01 June 2007 03:08 \__

>> | With a patent protection clause as anemic as MSPL 3B, I wonder why
>> | even bother adding it to the license. Though I don't really believe
>> | it's this useless as part of some sinister master plan, I think it
>> | demonstrates that Microsoft still doesn't understand that there's
>> | no distinction, in terms of our licenses, in the FOSS world between
>> | users, contributors, and companies.
>
> Microsoft will never be able to comprehend anything, in any terms, other
> than what it means in terms of financial assets.
>
> Or IOW, it's all about the money.
>
> The unconditionally [*] Free nature of e.g. the GPL, has Microsoft
> utterly perplexed; they lack the altruistic part of the brain capable of
> processing that kind of thought. AFAICT their condition is congenital
> and incurable, other than by termination.
>
> [*] The one fundamental condition being that the software must be
> protected in such a way as to *keep* it Free.

There are many components leading to success and one of them is image. IBM,
for example, knows this. Microsoft does not. If you pull the knob too far to
the "greed" side, your customers walk away. Why do you think the Free
software movement has grown so strong? The more you pinch Microsoft, the
nastier it gets, rather than try to earn (not BUY) your love. Good companies
improve their relationship with those that doubt their motives. Microsoft
does the opposite. It attacks. Like a dog whose owner sometimes bear a
resemblance (and vice versa), Microsoft resembles the character that runs
it. It makes the "800lb gorilla" analogy less of just an analogy.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Within reason, consider Free software. The best things in life are also free.
  5:00am  up 33 days 13:22,  9 users,  load average: 0.99, 1.38, 1.26