Re: Linux is winning ..

On Jun 18, 12:26 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> ____/ Brontide on Monday 18 June 2007 17:16 : \____
>
> > On Jun 18, 4:40 pm, Doug Mentohl <doug_ment...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> "To me, the Linux/Microsoft deals not only make sense, they show that we
> >> are in the last stage. Linux is winning, and Microsoft is acknowledging
> >> it. After all, if Microsoft didn't have to deal with Linux as something
> >> like an equal, why would they bother to make agreements at all?"
>
> >>http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6099316851.html
>
> > Microsoft is tying the rope around your neck and "Linux is winning"?
> > I believe Jeremy Allison is right on the mark, these deals break the
> > spirit of not the letter of the GPL and pose a huge risk to the
> > continued existence of Linux as a free platform.
>
> He said this before the GPLv3 was drafted to account for Novell-type deal,
> of which there are at least 3 now.

Roy,

Jeremy Allison resigned from Novel in December of '06.

http://gplv3.fsf.org/press

FSF released notice to change the GPL in Nov '05
FSF released the second comments draft of the GPLv3 in July '06, a
full 6 months before Jeremy resigned.

Despite the fact that GPLv3 *might* cause problems for these "patent
protection" deals, it presumes that a majority of the software for
linux is relicensed under GPLv3.  It seems unlikely that the linux
kernel will ever adopt the new license with current opposition from
Linus himself.  As well as the kernel there are many projects will
probably go for a wait and see approach before adopting this new
license.

That assumes they can ever come up with a GPLv3 since they have
already been at it for almost over a year without a resolution on many
contentious issues.

-Eric
http://brontide.blogspot.com/