Re: [News] If the Internet Goes Mobile, Then Microsoft Has a Lot of Catching Up to Do

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Mobile internet set for take-off?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | On the face of things there is little reason to be confident that mobile
> | internet will ever fully catch on with consumers.

I don't believe that at all.
Vodaphone are now doing a data card that for fixed fee of 25 pounds
per month. You can skype over it as they don't block any traffic.
With that you got the full power of internet on your laptop
no matter where you are.

> It's expensive,
> | awkward to use, and lacks the content and functionality of a traditional
> | PC-based browser.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | The Dublin-based firm was the first Irish website to use the dot-mobi
> | domain, offering an online booking service for mobile phone users.
> | Cavanagh, who set up the company with Frank Friel, said mobile operators
> | and handset manufacturers held the key to improving usability.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/18/mobile_internet/
>
> See links at the bottom. Microsoft is nowhere to be seen (around 5% market
> share). At least they try...
>
> Microsoft launches new-look MSN for mobile phones
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The number of U.S. mobile Internet users is expected to more than triple
> | to 110 million in 2011 from the current 32 million, according to
> | Sterling Market Intelligence and Opus Research.
> `----
>
> http://yahoo.reuters.com/news
articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070618:MTFH36585_2007-06-18_04-01-24_N15336808&type=comktNews&rpc=44
> http://tinyurl.com/3x2chg
>

> Related:
>
> 70 percent of smartphones use Symbian
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian.
> |
> | Linux accounts for 16.9 percent of the smartphone market and only
> | 4.6 percent uses Microsoft Windows Mobile.
> `----
>
> http://www.dvhardware.net/article17134.html
>

> Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
> | that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
> `----
>
> http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10
linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/