Re: If the Internet Goes Mobile, Then Microsoft Has a Lot of Catching Up to Do

On 18 Jun, 15:54, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mobile internet set for take-off?

<snip>

I've been using the internet for quite a while now.  Opera do a mini
web browser, called Opera Mini, which strips down the web pages it
sends to the user - so minimising the amount of data sent, and making
the data transfer as quick as possible.  I also use a telnet/ssh
client called MidpSSH to access my shell account, which works quite
well.

Cost used to be an issue for me, as I was charged according to the
amount of data I sent and received.  But now my service provider has
set-rates per day or week, which makes it more affordable. (This also
means I can afford to use my phone as a modem.  Otherwise I wouldn't
have internet access at home.)

The real issue for me now is speed.  The transfer of data via the
mobile network is very slow - and at certain times of the day it's as
sluggish as treacle.  I think the speed will frustrate users used to
broadband connections, and mobile internet use probably won't become
widely used until the networks address this.