Re: malware writers target open source say industry 'experts' ..

____/ dapunka on Monday 18 June 2007 17:28 : \____

> On 18 Jun, 21:53, Doug Mentohl <doug_ment...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 'Ooi Szu-Khiam, senior security consultant at Symantec Singapore, said
>> ..'
>>
>> "Malware creators are always on the lookout for new avenues to exploit
>> in order to spread their worms and Trojans and the home-user sector is a
>> particularly attractive target."
>>
>> 'Ooi noted that open source software in itself is not more vulnerable to
>> attacks compared to proprietary software'
>>
>> http://software.silicon.com/malware/0,3800003100,39167494,00.htm?r=2
>
>>From the linked article:
>
> "Wilvin Chee, research director at IDC's Asia-Pacific software
> research group, noted that the OpenOffice worm could be an isolated
> incident but could also be a sign that malware writers are starting to
> capitalise on the rising popularity of open source software."

IDC analysts do a lot of business with Microsoft. That's where their wage
comes from and some antitrust documents showed that they are also
dishonest.

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
| Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
| IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
| nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
| keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
| They're also too lazy or scared to ignore the likes of Gartner and
| IDC until the firms change their disclosure rules.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

IDC report on Open Document Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| This study is a fact-based analysis of the emerging open document
| standards, Open XML and ODF.
`----

http://openxmldeveloper.org/archive/2006/11/27/IDC_Open_Document_Standards.aspx

Vista launch to add 100,000 Europe IT jobs: [IDC] study

,----[ Quote ]
| The study, conducted by research firm IDC and commissioned by Microsoft,
| said Windows Vista will be installed on over 30 million personal computers
| in Denmark, France, Germany, Poland, Spain and United Kingdom within the
| first year of shipment.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060914/tc_nm/microsoft_study_dc

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy

> I have read before that Linux is structurally less vulnerable to
> attack; and also that Linux has only escaped wide-scale attack so far
> because of its comparative rarity on the desktop - that as it becomes
> more popular, more worms and viruses will be made to attack it.
> What's the opinion in this group?

A lot has been said about this. Here are some articles.

Linux hacks rare as hens' teeth, says survey

,----[ Quote ]
| Adding more fuel to the Linux versus Windows fire, a US research firm
| this week released a survey that noted only eight percent of Linux
| developers had ever seen a virus infect their systems.
|
| [...]
|
| A similar survey by Evans last year found that nearly 60 percent of
| non-Linux developers admitted they'd been victimised by security
| breaches, and 32 percent had been hit three or more times.
|
| Does that mean Linux is a more secure OS? Nicholas Petreley, Evans Data's
| Linux analyst, certainly thinks so.
|
| "It's not surprising that Linux systems aren't hacked to the degree that
| Windows-based machines can be exploited," he said in a statement. "The
| reasons for the greater inherent security of the Linux OS are simple, more
| eyes on the code mean that less slips by and the OS is naturally going to
| be better secured."
`----

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=15911

2006 Operating System Vulnerability Summary

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as "straight-out-of-box" conditions go, both Microsoft's
| Windows and Apple's OS X are ripe with remotely accessible
| vulnerabilities.
|
| [...]
|
| The UNIX and Linux variants present a much more robust
| exterior to the outside. Even when the pre-configured server
| binaries are enabled, each system generally maintained its
| integrity against remote attacks.
`----

http://www.omninerd.com/2007/03/26/articles/74

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

,----[ Quote ]
| True to UNIX.
| Qualitative score: Windows gets a D+ while Linux gets an A-.
| "Bummer of a birthmark"
| Qualitative score: Windows gets an F while Linux gets an A.
| User data confidentiality.
| Qualitative score: Windows gets a B- while Linux gets a B+.
| Patch practices
| Qualitative score: Windows gets an A- while Linux gets a B+.
`----

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views/article.php/3665801

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is better at locking down a computer than Windows. The Linux OS
| uses configuration settings and user permissions to a much more
| efficient degree than the Windows administrator account. To do
| this, non-enterprise users should seek help from third-party
| security suites that serve as configuration managers, James
| Bottomley, chief technology officer of SteelEye Technology said.

Security Report: Windows vs Linux

,----[Executive summary ]
| Finally, we also include a brief overview of relevant conceptual
| differences between Windows and Linux, to offer an insight into why
| Windows tends to be more vulnerable to attacks at both server and desktop,
| and why Linux is inherently more secure
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows is inherently harder to secure than Linux. There I said
| it. The simple truth.
|
| Many millions of words have been written and said on this topic.
| I have a couple of pictures.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

,----[ Quote ]
| In its first annual Security Issues Survey for the debut of the Software
| Security Summit conference in La Jolla, California, BZ Research polled
| 6,344 software development managers about the security of different
| popular
| enterprise operating environments and Linux and open source consistently
| topped Microsoft Windows, according to respondents.
`----

http://www.xomba.com/linux_more_secure_than_windows_national_survey_shows

Roy S. Schestowitz      | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
Tasks: 108 total,   1 running, 106 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie