[News] Rotten Future for Closed-source (DRM) Media Formats?

  • Subject: [News] Rotten Future for Closed-source (DRM) Media Formats?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 15:44:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Blu-ray disc rot on a few titles!

,----[ Quote ]
| Has anyone else been hit by blu-ray disc rot? I've just discovered it in
| my The Prestige blu-ray disc.
`----

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857067

Defective by design in the physical sense as well?

Related:

Sony Report Reveals First Look at Absolute Blu-ray and HD DVD Disc Sales
Figures

,----[ Quote ]
| While we should note that the VideoScan numbers are not all-inclusive
| (for example, they don't include discs sold at Wal-Mart or some
| online merchants), the lower sales numbers at the bottom end of
| weekly list and on display elsewhere in the report (where some
| titles are listed as selling fewer than 200 units since inception)
| are certainly still a sobering reminder that both formats still
| have a long way to go in their shared quest to supplant
| standard-def DVD.
`----

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/564

First AACS Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Key Revoked

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the release, 'Please be aware that failure to apply the
| update will result in AACS-protected HD DVD and BD playback being
| disabled,' which pretty much confirms that the key revocation has
| already taken place for all newly released Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs."
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/07/1417253&from=rss

How-To: Play Blu-ray and HD DVD Movie Discs in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/3737/how-to_play_blu-ray