Re: [News] [Linux] Request for Dell to Provide Cheap Blank Boxes

Rozzie wrote:

>> Actually, there's some money involved and Dell apparently pays Canonical
>> (it's a secret deal). I'm not saying there's something wrong with this.
>> There's the support cost difference of $25.
>
>So it's ok for Dell to have a secret deal with Canonical but not with
>Microsoft?

Why would you infer that?

>Why is one different than the other?

We don't know, exactly.  What we DO know is that "secret" or not is
NOT the issue - businesses have the right to have "secrets".

What IS the issue is the details of the deal.  If it's all just fair
business, fine.  If it's immoral, monopolist stuff, it's not fine.

>FWIW I think the Dell deal is ground breaking territory for Linux. If it
>is successful the others will follow. If it fails Linux as a consumer
>desktop system is pretty much dead.

I don't think it all hinges on this one program from Dell.  Maybe Dell
will not market the Linux boxes as well as someone else may be able
to.  They're not perfect.  Failed businesses can be analyzed and
learned-from.