Re: [News] [Linux] Request for Dell to Provide Cheap Blank Boxes

__/ [ Linonut ] on Thursday 14 June 2007 01:38 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> __/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Wednesday 13 June 2007 23:40 \__
>>
>>> Its not as if the customer paid anything for Ubuntu !
>>
>> Actually, there's some money involved and Dell apparently pays Canonical
>> (it's a secret deal). I'm not saying there's something wrong with this.
>> There's the support cost difference of $25.
>
> If DELL wants a few bucks for support overhead, that's fine by me.

Here's one of the things I had in mind:

Dell helping Canonical become profitable

,----[ Quote ]
| If you compare the Dell prices to the official Canonical support prices,
| you will find that one year of support costs $250 direct from Canonical,
| and $275 if you buy it bundled with your Dell machine.
`----

http://useopensource.blogspot.com/2007/05/dell-helping-canonical-become.html

Related little item:

How to make money by giving stuff away

,----[ Quote ]
| RedHat CFO Charlie Peters said this week that the key to success
| is to "convince customers of the value of moving from free to paid".
| Largely because JBoss is a free download, an estimated 11 million
| people are using it. Now if they can move even a small fraction of
| those customers into the paying column, that will be a significant
| source of revenue.
|
| [...]
|
| There is something of a snowball effect here. As you bring more
| people into your "community", the community becomes more attractive
| (because of new content, shared knowledge, buzz, etc.), which drives
| even more people in.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=202

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Brazil spans 47.8% of S. America
         run-level 5  Jun 11 08:03                   last=S