Re: [News] Playstation 3 Actually Very Successful in Australia

Capt. James Pike <jpike@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> PS3 is number one down-under says SCEA head
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Sony Computer Entertainment Australia head Michael Ephraim has analysed
>> | the latest sales figures for the PS3 locally and has declared the hefty
>> | black gaming console number one in the region.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Quoting figures from data trackers GfK in Australia, Ephraim tells us
>> | (via an interview with Gamespot AU )  that the 50,000 units moved since
>> | the PS3 launch March 23rd makes it number one next-gen gaming console.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13249&Itemid=1093
>

> Big friggin deal. I bet that the PS3 is also a huge hit in Topeka Kansas.
>
> One country like Australia means diddly squat. New York has more people and
> is more of an economic force than all of Australia combined.

New York has about 8 Million people, Australia about 20 million.  The
so-called New York "metropolitan area" is about 18 million.   Still
fewer, and obviously there are /far/ more resources in Australia per
capita than in New York.

New York's estimated GDP is about US$950 US Billion, that of Australia
is about $650 billion, which puts it as the 16th or 17th most important
economy in the world.   For your info, the EU is 1st in IMF and World
Bank figures, although the CIA world "factbook" puts it 2nd... I wonder
why :-)  Again, for comparison, London "metropolitan area" has 12 to 14
million people, with a GDP of $670 Billion (in 2005).

Thus, the article referenced is /extremely/ important with respect to
sales.