[News] Example of Linux Superior Hardware Support (Fine in Linux, Not in Vista)

  • Subject: [News] Example of Linux Superior Hardware Support (Fine in Linux, Not in Vista)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:25:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
I can use my Conectiv under Linux, but not Vista. Why, again?

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/06/29/i-can-use-my-conectiv-under-linux-but-not-vista-why-again/

Related:

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

Linux Hardware Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the problem with that argument: Most hardware does not
| work "Out of the box" in Windows. When people say their hardware
| worked "Out of the box" I don't think they are talking about "Out
| of the blue Windows XP box." What I think they mean is "Out of
| the Dell box."
|
| [...]
|
| The catch is that you must buy hardware that is supported by the
| software you intend to run on it. Is this really so unreasonable?
| Would you buy a Sun Spark workstation and try to run Windows on it?
`----

http://www.jeeperscats.com/?p=7

Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)

,----[ Quote ]
| Architectures:  Linux   Windows
|   PC x86        Y       Y
|   PC AMD64      Y       Y
|   PC IA-64      Y       Y
|   Alpha         Y       N
|   PPC           Y       N
|   PPC64         Y       N
|   SPARC32       Y       N
|   SPARC64       Y       N
|   ARM           Y       N
|   HP PA-RISC    Y       N
|   Moto 680x0    Y       N
|   MIPS          Y       N
|   MIPS (DEC)    Y       N
|   PowerPC       Y       N
|   IBM S/390     Y       N
|   Cell          Y       N
|   others        Y       N
`----

http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20Comparison%20Linux%20vs%20Windows

64-Bit Linux Spotlighted at Gelato ICE: Itanium Conference & Expo

,----[ Quote ]
| Attendee favorites included keynotes on Linux kernel development for
| Itanium architecture by the Linux 2.6 kernel maintainer, Andrew
| Morton, and the Itanium processor vision and roadmap by Intel's
| James Fister.
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070523006049&newsLang=en

More Fun With Printing

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on
| Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/05/more_fun_with_printing.html

Meet the new Linux kernel: 2.6.21

,----[ Quote ]
| It took longer than Linux creator Linus Torvalds would have liked,
| but the latest Linux kernel, version 2.6.21, has arrived. It brings
| many minor and major changes in how Linux handles process scheduling
| and time.

Free Linux Driver Development!

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, that's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all
| companies free Linux driver development. No longer do you have
| to suffer through all of the different examples in the Linux
| Device Driver Kit, or pick through the thousands of example
| drivers in the Linux kernel source tree trying to determine
| which one is the closest to what you need to do.
`----

http://www.kroah.com/log/2007/01/29/#free_drivers

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

WPA wireless "just works" in Ubuntu 7.04

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows XP is normally thought to have great support for wireless
| networks. This is true for some networks, but many secure
| wireless networks require the user to perform multiple complex
| steps to configure the correct security and authentication
| settings. To see what I mean, just look at these instructions
| to connect to various University wireless networks.
|
| On the other hand, the Mac OS X interface looks very similar
| to Ubuntu 7.04. Just like Ubuntu, it will allow you to
| painlessly connect to secure wireless networks.
`----

http://useopensource.blogspot.com/2007/02/wpa-wireless-just-works-in-ubuntu-704.html
http://tinyurl.com/2df6gk

Ubuntu and wireless - now better than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://evolvedlight.co.uk/?p=20