Re: Theo de Raadt Slams Intel for Neglect of Free Software and Negligence

On Jun 29, 4:25 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> OpenBSD founder: Intel leaves open-source out in the cold
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | He accused Intel of understating the impact of the bugs "very significantly"
> | and cautioned OS developers that they will most certainly run into these
> | bugs.

I had quite a few friends go to work for Intel back in the early days,
before the PC came about, and I always respected Andy Grove for what
he accomplished, so I have some sympathy for them.  But it's clear
they made a pact with the devil---Microsoft will keep writing more and
more bloated operating systems that require more and more processing
power, and Intel will sell the masses the chips to run them.  It
wasn't like that in the beginning, and it didn't have to turn out this
way.  Of course if there ever is a massive uptake of Linux, it will
affect revenue at places like Intel and Dell, because it will break
the upgrade treadmill.  Not eliminate it---there are plenty of reasons
in Linux to like fast hardware---but slow it down.  The result would
be a healthier, more productive, more efficient workplace for most
people, but hard times for some that have relied on the big Monopoly.
Meantime, Intel's behavior lately has not been particularly admirable.