Re: [News] [Linux] No ZFS Needed for Linux, New Filesystems May Obviate the Need

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 27 Jun 2007 23:42:49 +0100
<6366413.joIO9mEPrg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ Jerry McBride on Wednesday 27 June 2007 22:25 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Kernel space: two new filesystems for Linux
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://apcmag.com/6468/zfs_the_ultimate_filesystem
>>>

>> Roy,
>>
>> ZFS is a proprietary file system OWNED by SUN. It is not licensed under the
>> GPL and therefore is not a good thing to run on Linux.
>>
>> Please, stop advocating ZFS. At least until SUN comes to their senses and
>> releases the ZFS source under the GPL.
>
> I consistently write about why Linux does /not/ need ZFS. Where have I ever
> advocated it?

I for one would think of ZFS as a "nice to have".  However,
it will have to compete in the filesystem space with the
likes of:

- ext2: old, venerable, still reliable; a little slow on rebooting
  if something goes wrong.
- ext3: ext2+journaling, which is a nice solution for many;
  solves the slow fsck problem on reboot-after-crash.
- reiserfs: I like it and it has good performance, though it may
  have some issues according to yttrx.
- jfs: IBM offering.  I've not fiddled with it much lately.
- vfat: Anyone silly enough to run Linux on this will probably
  need to have a good reason why, though it might be good for
  testing some behaviors on certain apps.
- ntfs: Ditto.

ZFS will of course taint the kernel from a licensing standpoint.
Caveat emptor.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/signature: Not a text file