Re: [News] Linux User Hit by Windows Activation Utter Failures, Forced to Pay Microsoft for New GPU

____/ BearItAll on Thursday 28 June 2007 16:51 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Anger Activation [of Windows Vista]
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Recently, I upgraded my home Linux server, so that I could run VMware on
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | So I'm sitting here for about 3 hours then all of a sudden Windows greys
>> | out. A message comes up and says, I kid you not 'You have changed
>> | hardware: you will need to purchase a new license'. Purchase a new
>> | license of Vista... for upgrading my video card?
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.rustylime.com/show_article.php?id=535
>>
>> How much would that kind of nuisance cost industry if it ever adopted
>> Windows Vista?
>>

> I don't go with his conclusion that Vista can revoke a licence as the main
> issue. We know that a licence can be revoked if they believe it to be a
> pirated copy.
>
> The main issue I would have said is, She loaded a game and lost her licence,
> uninstalled it and regained her licence, so what are MS actually using to
> determin that your Vista is valid? It doesn't sound like it could be a
> solid reliable test to me, maybe it's something proper daft such as a crc
> on a particular shared dll that the game updated.
>
> What ever it is it makes it sound like a very clumsy test.

Think about mission critical PCs and business PCs. I don't know if there was an
option was exemption (I think there was), but have a look:

ATM with Pirated Windows [with photos]

,----[ Quote ]
| In Russian you can sometimes meet pirated copy of Windows even
| on ATM. It warns that this copy of Windows need activation and
| the work of ATM gets interrupted.
`----

http://englishrussia.com/?p=981#more-981

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
Mem:    515500k total,   444700k used,    70800k free,     1084k buffers