Re: [News] New ATI Drivers Released, Still Getting Just Mockery

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.38.6.html

> AMD Radeon HD 2400PRO/2600XT Preview
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | For comparison, NVIDIA's Linux and Solaris display drivers have
> | supported the NVIDIA GeForce 8 series for some time. There had been a
> | beta Linux driver available within a few days of the launch of the
> | GeForce 8800GTS and 8800GTX and another driver out within a few days of
> | the GeForce 8500 and 8600 availability. When it comes to the hardware,
> | the new Radeon HD 2400 and Radeon HD 2600 cards look very nice and are
> | priced very well, however, without Linux support these cards are just
> | useless to those who exclusively use Linux.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=762&num=1
>
> Choose NVIDIA.

NVIDIA is a pile of crap as well, especially if you use a laptop.

You cannot make it hibernate, and suspend is iffy.

So, choosing Nvidia is a very bad piece of advice. The source code is not
open / chipset information is not public etc. And the nvidia folks are more
interested in working on their Vista drivers than fixing year old bugs on
their closed source driver on linux (black window bug, inability to switch
virtual terminals when logged in / not, no hibernate, poor suspend, etc. -
most of these bugs are close to a year old).

I was a Nvidia fan a long time ago, until one of my colleagues bought a Sony
laptop with nvidia and we had no end of trouble getting the darned thing to
hibernate and suspend, something that would work perfectly if he used the
open source nv driver. He then paid Sony to get his motherboard replaced
with an Intel chip.

Nvidia used to be a friend of Linux (in spite of being a closed source
vendor). They aren't any more.

How would you feel if a multi-platform closed source vendor started shipping
products that sucked on Linux and worked acceptably in Windows ? I use
Matlab in my daily work and if Mathworks ever pulled a trick like that on
me, I would give them the heave ho and migrate to Octave.

Nvidia being nice is a Linux myth that has long since been proven to be
false.