Re: [News] Linux Among the Reasons for Vista EULA Flip-flop?

BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ BearItAll on Wednesday 27 June 2007 11:55 : \____

> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070624-microsofts-anti-virtualization-stance-forget-drm-think-apple.html

>>> To be fair to MS it was MS that put in the work to make a virtualiseable
>>> XP for Linux. so MS are not totally against this technology, either when
>>> it comes to virtualising Debian (and others) in a MS VM or the other way
>>> around.
>>>
>>> Ok so they probably would rather Vista was a VM host than a VM client,
>>> but for XP they seem to be playing the game fairly in this area and
>>> presumably are doing the same with their servers.
>>>
>>> In the end though do we really mind who is hosting, so long as its a
>>> stable host.
>>>
>>> I don't know if MS VM will prove as stable as UNIX/Linux hosted VM, but
>>> they are getting some good write ups in this area, the list of tested
>>> Linux systems is huge. MS have no real choice, web hosts have been going
>>> the way of VM machines for a while now, it is better for them and their
>>> customers for many reasons, MS have to play this game too.
>>
>> You can run Linux virtualised under Vista Home Edition (server aside for
>> the moment, as Longhorn, AKA Server 2008, is a mess that led to dropping
>> of very basic virtualisation features). On the other hand, you need
>> expensive Vista licences (no OEM 'discounts' here) in order to make Linux
>> the host. As I said to Rex earlier, Microsoft totally bends Novell's arm
>> on this one. It's rather disturbing to watch.
>>
>> At the end of the day, what would you want to virtualise Vista for?
>> Windows XP supports /far/ more applications and it is being patched more
>> regularly. I think Microsoft understands this. Combined with the problems
>> in Server 2008, the company has many reason to panic at this stage.
>>

> I don't have a reason to virtualise any Windows, but some will want it,
> others will maybe need it eventually.

Well, since people have been running Windows versions in virtual
machines for donkeys years in QA labs, then I daresay that is a very
accurate and insightful statement ....

> Take the Linux effect, another area where Linux is leaps and bounds ahead of
> MS.

In the "Linux effect"? I would hope so ....

> We can go to almost any UNIX/Linux host, pick a virtual machine and get a
> choice from several of the OS's, mine offers a choice of 5 distros. The
> list caters for different tastes enough that there wouldn't really be a
> need to extend that list.

Why? Whats "not so different" from the other 694 distros?

> Debian,Ubuntu,CentOS,Fedora,Gentoo (basically one of each main family)

Ubuntu is of the Debian family.

> Then in the virtual machine you get to do anything you want to do, it's
> basically your own server, so as well as a host for your web pages,
> you

"basically"? Oh, do tell us the more complicated version.

> have a data store and remote applications server (if your host allows for
> that sort of extra traffic, it might be charged as an extra which is
> reasonable for this).
>
> This area will expand, because it has so much potential.

Mind boggling foresight.

> Just as we select a Linux VM, there will be some that choose a Windows style
> VM, we have to allow them the choice.

That's nice of you.