Re: [News] [Rival] US Government Takes Windows Zombies Very Seriously

____/ BearItAll on Monday 25 June 2007 13:21 : \____

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/24/weekinreview/24schwartz.html?ex=1340337600&en=6e966bd8b6fe8d8d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

>> Not a word about Windows or Microsoft. The NYT conveniently assumed that
>> botnets comprise just any PC.
>>

> I suppose that in the end it is alright for them to not get anyone's backs
> up about this by mentioning names. Instead we just want a cure.
>
> At some point the various OS's will hopefully have to each stand up and say
> 'We are cleared of this problem'. Any that can't stand up and say that
> still have work to do.
>
> I'm glad that this is passing to the hands of government because MS have had
> enough time to sort this out. Then with Vista and various acts of in XP
> they can't really claim to have tried hard to make their system safe.

They did try, but the system could not be built in 2004/2005, so the system's
core was thrown away and various bits then reused. A CRN test showed that
Vista is only marginally more secure than XP and some recent figures showed
that patching has slowed down in Vista (more vulnerabilities remain unpatched)
when compared against XP.

The government sent Microsoft a warning about a  year ago. They know it has
become a national security issue. At any desired moment, the Internet can be
knocked down even by a small nation in Asia. Zombification makes the attack
location-independent (proxies). There were some test runs at the end of last
year, just to test the water.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
Tasks: 120 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie