Re: refills don't violate Lexmark patents ..

SomeBloke wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ Doug Mentohl on Saturday 23 June 2007 17:15 : \____
>>
>>> "A federal jury determined yesterday that Lexmark’s patents weren’t
>>> violated by a North Carolina company that makes parts that lets the
>>> company’s printer-toner cartridges be reused"
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2jtaug
>>>
> http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351755860&path=!business&s=1037645507703
>> I think that H-P had a similar case in Germany (?) recently. It's no crime
>> to sell printers at a loss and making toner/ink super expensive, but few
>> consumers are actually aware of this 'scheme'. What's more, a very recent
>> finding suggested that people are requested/required to but a new
>> cartridge when the ~20% threshold is reched. YMMV...
>>

> Wasn't there a case here in the UK of a printer manufacturer selling one of
> their basic models at a very low price, then pitching the refill inks price
> so high that it was cheaper to buy another new printer?
>
> Tim.

lexmark?

Hey, I have run a Brother monochrome toner laser that I got in a thrift
shoppe for $24.00 for six months, and when the toner runs out, I will
grab another.

Next to it, is a 1992 Apple 360 laser printer, that only had 4500 copies
when it was given to me.  A new toner cartridge (not a refurb.!) cost me
$14.00, delivered (from an ebay store)...

I suppose some of you really do need color, but, I just pitched out 8
color printers, that came "NEW"with half empty cartridges, and the
cartridges cost more than the printers are worth!

So, even at the thrifts, few donated ink jet printers even make it to
the front if they are out of ink.  Straight to the trash they go.

The scam of selling you a printer cheap, with only a sampling of ink in
the "NEW" cartridges, is over for most folks.  There was at least
one lawsuit that the consumers won over that scam.

I guess they didn't get the message.  Well, Millions of us will keep
sending it.  WE DO NOT BUY SHORT SHRIFTED PRODUCTS!