Re: billg to IBM: don't market 1-2-3 ..

  • Subject: Re: billg to IBM: don't market 1-2-3 ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 05:44:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 08 March 2007 11:40 \__

> Doug Mentohl <doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Doug Mentohl wrote:
>>
>> June 23, 1989
>>
>> Mr. Joe M. Guglielmi
>> IBM Vice_president and President, Applications System Division
>> IBM Milford
>>
>> ..
>>
>> Dear Joe,
>>
>> ..
>>
>> I am concerned about press reports of IBM's plans to market 1-2-3/G. We
>> took part in the OfficeVision announcment with the assurance that Excel
>> would receive equal billing .. I am unhappy at the way this ended up
>> positioning Lotus' role in Office .. I urge you not to market 1-2-3/G
>> because it would change our relationship and send mixed messages about
>> the openness of OfficeVision.
>>
>> ..
>>
>> Microsoft Excel is the leading graphical spreadsheet today and will be
>> the first graphical Os/2 spreadsheet by a number of months ..
>>
>> ..
>>
>> In closing, I am concerned with what I am hearing about 1-2-3/G and
>> OfficeVision and how such a relationship would put our objectives at
>> odds with each other. I would like to do whatever I can to avoid this
>> outcome ..
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> William H. Gates, 111
>>
>> http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/0000/PX00119.pdf
>
> So now all you Lotus 123 fans know what happened to your favourite
> spreadsheet.  Bill Gates negotiated it out of existence as part of the
> offering destruction of OS2.

The "kill lotus" plan. Now we know for a fact.

http://digg.com/software/Leaked_Microsoft_Memo_the_Kill_Lotus_Plan_PDF

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
Tasks: 118 total,   1 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie