Re: [News] Second Life Uses 2,000 Debian Linux Servers; The Film 300 Used Linux

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Thursday 08 March 2007 18:04 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Inside Second Life's Data Centers
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Second Life runs on 2,000 Intel and AMD servers in two co-location
>> | facilities in San Francisco and Dallas. The company has a commitment
>> | to open source, with servers running Debian Linux and the MySQL
>> | database. Linden Lab chose Debian Linux because the software is
>> | suited to scaling massively with a small IT staff, said Linden
>> | Lab CTO Cory Ondrejka.
>
> The thing I really like about them is they released their client for
> Linux as well and it performs better on Linux than the Windopes platform.

They are having scaling issues though. The other day I read about the
additions of like a hundred boxes every week (this thing grows exponentially
and so do the inter-person dependencies... just like Digg.com actually).
They'll have to do some rethinking. It's not necessarily MySQL that's to
blame, but maybe flawed ideas in design/implementation. For instance, In
Netscape we boast pageload speed. With Digg, on the other hand, if you have
many people flagged as 'friend', a pageload can take over 10 second
(broadband). The database goes nuts because of implementation (number of
queries), so it's not a MySQL-specific issue. Both sites use LAMP, but when
you start with a small site you want many features that would just scale
poorly in the long term. And dropping nice features is hard because people
come to expect and love them. That's the whole /social/ (interconnectivity)
aspect. Caching rarely works because everything is moving very /fast/. There
are/were times when requests got rejected because of server loads that went
through the ceiling. In fact, when people with many friends navigate through
Digg (with many tabs opening simultaneously), we must cost them a lot of
money (server capacity=electricity). Maybe 10 times that of an new user.

'Nuff rambling... ;-)

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
roy      pts/1                         Fri Mar  9 05:19 - 05:20  (00:01)