Re: [News] Microsoft Snubs Eclipse on Interoperability

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Thursday 08 March 2007 04:11 \__

> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
>> <spam@xxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:21:51 +0000

>>> I wonder *what* exactly is in those 1500 packets of data?
>>>
>>> I still have the public evaluation Beta ISO of Vista knocking around
>>> somewhere, so I could run a sniffer to have a look.
>>>
>>> Do I need Vista at both ends (i.e. Master Browser & Slave) for this 1500
>>> packet behaviour to occur, or will just connecting Vista to a Linux CIFS
>>> host be enough?
>>>

>> I would suspect the latter to be sufficient.  After all, the presumed
>> context here is to sell more Win2003 Server boxes. :-)
>>
>> (And Windows doesn't support NFS natively precisely why, again?
>> Ow, ow, my brain...)
>
> Yeah, I did *try* MS "Services For Unix" once. It was a disaster,
> breaking the system so badly that I actually had to do something I
> despise ... give up and WipeNReinstall®.
>
> No surprise that it didn't work though, I can't help but feel it was
> deliberate. I can just imagine Sweaty Ballmer rocking back in his broken
> chair and laughing with an evil Mooooaaahhhhhaaahhhhaaa.

They threw away "Services For Unix" just over a year ago, IIRC. Maybe it was
becoming a threat and maybe an embarrassment. Either way, they don't play
nice with true threats (rivals). They still regret keeping their paws off
Google, back when it was small (Python/Linux/GNU).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Computers are useless. They only solve problems"
  5:20am  up 44 days  5:38,  7 users,  load average: 0.89, 0.88, 1.01