Re: [News] Microsoft Snubs Eclipse on Interoperability

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
<spam@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:21:51 +0000
<lfj3c4-us8.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Vista is to ship with a new version of SMB, called SMB2. At
>> | minute 40 in this FLOSS Weekly podcast, Jeremy Allison of
>> | Samba talks of behavior that will flood the network with
>> | 1500 packets just to do a network file delete. This will
>> | turn Vista computers into a DOS (Denial of Service) attack
>> | upon Samba based computers on the network.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.twit.tv/floww14
>
> I wonder *what* exactly is in those 1500 packets of data?
>
> I still have the public evaluation Beta ISO of Vista knocking around
> somewhere, so I could run a sniffer to have a look.
>
> Do I need Vista at both ends (i.e. Master Browser & Slave) for this 1500
> packet behaviour to occur, or will just connecting Vista to a Linux CIFS
> host be enough?

I would suspect the latter to be sufficient.  After all, the presumed
context here is to sell more Win2003 Server boxes. :-)

(And Windows doesn't support NFS natively precisely why, again?
Ow, ow, my brain...)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -- insert random cynicism here
Useless C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}