Re: [News] AT&T Cable Television Rollout Ruined by Microsoft Glitches

  • Subject: Re: [News] AT&T Cable Television Rollout Ruined by Microsoft Glitches
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 13:06:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> AT&T Resumes Rollout for Cable TV
>
> Snore.  Cable is dead.
>
> Bittorrent can deliver any show via the Internet.

Broadcast networks which supports streams are completely different in
structure to connectionless packet switching networks which do not.
Further, all attempts to add real-time-like capabilities on top of IP
have demonstrably failed, and will continue to do so.  You *need* three
mode networking, you cannot do it with one.

Broadcast networks can move gigabytes of stream data to millions of
terminating points without ever dropping a packet or frame, and without
sweating even slightly.  IP networks struggle to even move a handful of
streams, let alone big numbers.

The world is coming to big-crunch time on this issue, with a lot of IETF
people still deluding themselves into believing that building longer
queues will somehow make a connectionless network connection oriented -
it will not and it cannot.  The final solution they throw at the problem
is twofold, firstly, just keep chucking bandwidth at the problem
(streaming networks are already using << 10% of the bandwidth of ip
netowrks to do the same thing, and do it better), and use total
buffering, ie., the queue is the full length of the whole transmission,
ie., throughput is more or less zero.  This is the approach bittorrent
uses - the terminating machine has to buffer the *whole transmission*
before you get to see it.  This is *not real-time broadcasting*!

One day, you'll all finally grasp what I was talking about... :-)