Re: [News] Budget Drainer 360 Not Doing As Well As Microsoft PR Says

> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 04 March 2007 02:10 \__

>>> Is Microsoft In Trouble? Pt. 2
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.someonestolemydomain.com/node/54
>>>
>>> The PS3 could still come from behind when production rates meet demand.
>>> Then, the use of PS3 Linux (YDL 5) will increase.
>>>

>> Also, look at this, from the same numbers above:
>>
>> Sony:       613,750  (combined PS2 & PS3 sales)
>> Nintendo:   485,000
>> Microsoft:  332,250
>
> The press will always spin it Microsoft's way. I was rather shocked that when
> the stats came out showing Nintendo as a winner, Reuters only posted an
> article whose headline quoted the great success of Microsoft. They sold more
> consoles in January 2007 than they sold in January 2006, it stated,
> extolling the 'virtues' of this frying pan called XBox 360.

Indeed - the real numbers show that Sony is wiping the floor with
everyone, when box sales are considered.  In terms of revenues, I'm not
sure, although I note that since the PS3 is actually fairly expensive,
although the PS2 is inexpensive, they're probably outdoing everyone else
on revenues too.  This leaves the question of margin, but as that will
never be truly clear, it's hard to say.  My feeling is that Sony will
sell off PS2s as long as they have remaining inventory and can sell them
at a profit, no matter how slim - consider that at this point in the PS2
lifecycle, they have essentially covered all the costs of design,
development, factory tooling, rework for early problems and so on, so
every single unit sale is essentially just profit.  For Xbox360, Wii and
PS3, they're still very much in early days, and probably still need to
cover the R&D, tooling and redesign costs (especially for Xbox360, which
apparently is missing a critical heatsink).

> The article missed the big picture, which includes the fact that the Wii put
> the XBox to shame. Guess whose technology Reuters is using? Remember their
> anti-Novell, anti-Linux headline? I do. I have always argued that it /could/
> be deliberate. It miseld the whole mainstream press around thd world and did
> _a lot_ of damage.

I suspect that a lot of the technology headlines are written by people
who've spent the last decade or more writing stories where there is only
ever one winner, Microsoft, so there is a huge change in attitude which
needs to take place.  My feeling is that these organisations are
probably not actively biassed towards Microsoft in any way they would
recognise, rather, there is disruptive technology about, and as is
always the way with such (read the Innovator's Dillemma), by the time
they see it, it's kind of too late.  They probably need our help as much
as anything else, in order to be able to see what to us is very clear
indeed.

> Sometimes I think that I can trust respectable blogs more than I can trust
> (financially depedent) media like CNN. Even the BBC has lost my trust.

Those who are advertising funded can never really be trusted.  The BBC
are not, so ought to be better, although I suspect that they, too,
suffer to an extent from the failure to recognise the significance of
disruptive technology, as much as anything else.  Again, given the help,
they'll be there.  Also, the BBC are required by their charter to be
even-handed, so putting in complaints to them is generally highly
effective.

Talking of the beeb, I was rather surprised last week in my jaunt to
San Diego to find that several locals were fans of Top Gear.  When I
mentioned that it wasn't available in the US, they just grinned and said
something like "there are always ways..."  I do wonder what they thought
of the car trip through the deep south...