Re: nathanm on 32 bit OS/2, preannounced Windows, NeXT Screens and VisiOn ..

__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 19:04 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> __/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 15:00 \__
>>
>>> One parting comment is that this reminds me of the Windows vs VisiOn
>>> issue. This analogy isn't perfect, but the situation was we ("we" is to
>>> ne taken lightly - I sure wasn't here) preannounced Windows, signed up
>>> the major OEMs ans showed a demo to freeze the market and prevent VisiOn
>>> from getting any momentum. It sure worked - VisiOn died, VisiOn died and
>>> Dos kept on chugging.
>>>
>>> http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_0052.pdf
>>
>> So was Vista preannounced as well? Was the 'terrible delay' just a part of
>> an act? 2003... then 2004... then 2005... some time in 2006... make that
>> XMas 2006... oh, well, it's January 2007... and it's still as buggy as
>> Hell (or Dell). If they hadn't 'frozen the market' as he calls it, how
>> many people would have switched back in 2001/2? Are customers being fooled
>> as part of these 'business decisions'?
>
> Hey, Microsoft deserves some kudos for being able to keep vaporware
> afloat for over 4 years!

People have hopefully learned their lesson. Joe and Jane, however, never knew
when the next Windows should come out. We ought to tell them. We ought to
show them the enormous progress that other O/Ses made in the interim.

Vapourware, I suppose, is more crucial when it comes to corporate clients
with planned deployments and hardware shuffles.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
  3:20am  up 40 days  3:38,  6 users,  load average: 1.41, 0.68, 0.63