Re: [News] Microsoft-friendly Analyst (IDC) Predicts Nintendo Will Beat Microsoft

On 2007-03-03, John Bailo spake thusly:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ John Bailo ] on Saturday 03 March 2007 03:12 \__

>>> Wii is just a Microsoft front to keep people from buying a real gaming
>>> console: PS/3/Linux.
>>>
>>> By end of year the game will be up!
>>
>> Limited production pace until May 2007. And let's not forget Europe and
>> some other countries. various issues aside, the price of the PS3 is set to
>> decline significantly and it's only a matter of time until Tom and Dick
>> visit Harry, who happens to have this 'Lunix thing' on his 40-inch TV set.
>> They will want the same things... you know, to do their homework on
>> OpenOffice and play plenty of free games.

I really didn't realize how wonderful an office suite openofice is, until
I needed a spreadsheet. Calc was so good, I went to writer instead of
abiword, which is in itself an excellent WP, and writer is even more
capable than word. I am still amazed at the quality, and the fact that
it hasn't (yet) stomped on microsoft office. After all, that was the very
reason that Sun bought staroffice from that german company who's name I
can't remember, opened the source, and released it under OpenOffice.org
and opened the code freely with their own free software license (which has
since been changed; OOo is now GPL'd). I am sure it will eventually happen,
as it has begun in many countries. France for instance, and I understand
australia, china and parts of the UK. There are other entities as well. For
an interesting read, look it up on wikipedia.

> Price is irrelevant.  Go to your local mall (oh, sorry, you're a Brit).

And you think the UK dosen't have shopping centers with roofs? Really?

> Well, imagine going to your local mall in suburban America.  You will
> regularly see guys carting off 60 inch tvs into the flatbed of their
> pickups.   They are spending $3000 to $5000 on tvs

John, let's be realistic. This is a generalization that is very off target
and definetly dosen't represent the entertainment purchases of the average
middle income american. This stereotype *is* one of the condemnations used
when other countries refer to America and Americans as decadent and/or
narcisistic.

> -- they're not going to
> cry about buying a media supercomputer for $800

$800.00 US? The only computer I can think of off the top of my head,
which is actually a very capable machine, if not more of an appliance,
in that price range, is the Emachine computer. I don't think that would
be considered a "multimedia" computer by microsoft, but then again, I
don't think Microsoft _always_ gets to define words and phrases. Unless
it's 'intellectual property' of course. I don't think "multimedia computer"
falls into that catagory. At any rate, any computer with a half decent
processor can do multimedia applications just fine. In fact, windows,
because of, or created by, the factor of DRM and it's agreements
with the RIAA and various vendors, is very limiting in what it
will allow you to do, out of the box, when you go deeper than just
playing music and video - when you contrast it to just about any other
OS.

...in fact, you could sell
> the PS/3 as a big screen accessory since it's only 20% the price of the
> bigger screen tvs.

I'll have to take your word on that particular stat.

best,

Mateus

"Always do the right thing: It will delight /  Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanies
some and astound the rest" - Mark Twain    / Psychotronic protection, low prices

"Anyone who uses the term 'intellectual property' is either confused or trying
to confuse you." - Richard Matthew Stallman