Re: Ubuntu, which one to use?

__/ [ yttrx ] on Friday 02 March 2007 21:17 \__

> Mark <nipperspotREMOVE@gmail-dot-com> wrote:
>> I went to the Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/) web site seeing that there
>> are a few different distributions there.  I previously used Red Hat
>> Linux and then Fedora Core distributions in the past.  I downloaded the
>> CD or DVD ISO images and burned the images.  Those distros had
>> everything I would need in the installation.
>>
>> To me, the Ubuntu Desktop PC distro may not have all the server
>> components that I may need or want to use:
>>
>> * Recompile the kernel for optimization (kernel source needed).
>
> You dont need to do this.
>
>> * Apache
>
> So install it after.
>
>> * MySQL
>
> So install it after.
>
>> * and probably more than I can think of right now.
>>
>> Are these components included in Ubuntu Desktop PC distribution?  I
>> don't want to download the ISO image and find out after installation
>> that these components are missing and have to download another linux
>> distro (i.e. Fedora).
>>

> You can download anything you want and install it after you install
> whatever the hell you're going to install.  Don't be a moron.

I think there's a Ubuntu Server, which gives you all the above after just 15
minutes of trivial installation.

Some good guides in: http://www.howtoforge.com/

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Tasks: 112 total,   1 running, 109 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie