[News] Open Source, Linux-based Router Shows a Lot of Promise

Will an open source router replace your Cisco router?

,----[ Quote ]
| By using VMware, I was able to get this new router up in less than 30
| minutes--as promised by the evaluation guide. In fact, half of that time
| came from downloading the file. In addition, I ended up reading some of the
| guide to learn the default login and the basics of the user interface.
|
| In my opinion, Vyatta shows a lot of promise. While I'm not recommending
| throwing out Cisco routers in favor of Vyatta just yet, spending 30 minutes
| to familiarize yourself with what it can do is a smart idea.
`----

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-6163569.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=tr
http://tinyurl.com/37zkvp

Related:

Vyatta Releases Community Edition 2 of Open Source Router

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta today announced that Vyatta Community Edition 2 (VC2) is now
| available for download from the Vyatta web site. VC2 is the latest
| freely-available, community-supported release of Vyatta's
| open-source router/firewall product.
`----

http://www.vyatta.com/about/pressreleases.php?id=28

Vyatta apes Red Hat's development process

,----[ Quote ]
| The company, whose main product is its Open Flexible Router (OFR),
| will offer two versions of the software to customers: a
| subscription-based version, to include regular updates and
| support; and the free and open Community Edition.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39285946,00.htm

Linux to power super-router

,----[ Quote ]
| While the Open Linux Router project is at an early stage, it is
| part of a growing interest in using open source to compete with
| companies such as Cisco in the realms of routers and PBXs.
|
| [...]
|
| Other Linux-based projects targeting firewall and network server include
| ClarkConnect, IPCop, m0n0wall, and Smoothwall. [and Vyatta]
`----

http://www.techworld.com/networking/news/index.cfm?newsID=7983&pagtype=all

Open source router on par with Cisco, users say

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'd say that any PC we could put [Vyatta OFR] on today is going to be
| way faster than Cisco. I would not be doing backbone routing with this,
| but I would not hesitate to say this will compete against Cisco
| either," Newnam said. "Well, as long as we're not switching half of
| the U.S. of course."
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1218088,00.html

University dumps Cisco VOIP for open-source Asterisk

,----[ Quote ]
| SHSU is in the process of moving its 6,000 students, faculty and staff off
| of Cisco CallManager IP PBXs and a legacy Nortel Meridian PBX over to Linux
| servers running Asterisk...
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1646405846;fp;4;fpid;78268965

Dumping Cisco for open-source