Re: Novell Invites a Special Friend, Sun Snubs Novell's Bash

> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 19 March 2007 19:53 \__
>
>> LinuxGuy <paul.nuffer@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I'm going to Brainshare this year[1], and I picked up my pack
>>> yesterday. I received a t-shirt as part of the pack, and I was a
>>> little shocked. There's the usual Brainshare Logo, and on the lower
>>> left was Novell's name. The surprise came on the lower right -
>>> Microsoft's name right along side. I'd say they're a bit more than a
>>> 'platinum sponsor' to be riding home on Brainshare's t-shirt...
>>>

>> If I want the name of a convicted organisation on my t-shirt, I'll
>> choose it myself...  hope you enjoy brainshare and don't get lynched on
>> the way home :-)
>
> Have a look here:
>
> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/03/19/novell-open-source-supporter-turned-open-source-parasite/
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Perens also surmises that the deal may be the beginning of Novell's
>| exit strategy from their Linux business, which "hasn't taken off, and
>| won't anytime soon". Perens also believes Microsoft may indeed buy
>| Novell, since Novell would lack the resources to fork the numerous
>| essential GNU utilities that will be moving to GPL3.
> `----

Interesting remarks.  I've speculated several times on the future of
Microsoft here - it's quite clear that they need an exit strategy for
their Windows business, but it's also clear that they will want to hang
on to as much lock-in as they can.

Purchasing Novell offers an interesting route in, although it would
rather depend on how many of the OSS guys /within/ Novell would wish to
remain under the "new management" as to how easy such a transition would
be.  From Microsoft's perspective, though, they could continue to sell
Novell Linux for as long as they own the name.  This would enable them
to have the dual-personality required to survive the eventual shut-down
of their Windows business and the pick-up of their Linux business.