Re: Modern Linux Distribution on 486DX with 16MB of RAM

__/ [ cc ] on Friday 16 March 2007 11:33 \__

> On Mar 16, 7:08 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> __/ [ cc ] on Friday 16 March 2007 10:48 \__

>> > What industry is that not the case?

>> > I don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but there's no way
>> > someone is going to hire you and let you freely distribute the code
>> > you write.
>>
>> I was hired in the past to write GPL-licensed code. The client gets what
>> is needed. If it is not a very competitive market, the customer could not
>> care less if the work is used elsewhere as well. Sometimes it's even
>> encouraged. Code is no commodity, unlike bread. It's like intellect. When
>> you leave one employer you don't shed off all the skills you have
>> acquired. You move on to your next job with certain knowledge in mind.
>
> Just like any other job. Code has to be a commodity. If it ever isn't
> the world is going to take some gigantic steps backwards
> technologically. Think about it. I agree about most software patents
> though.

I disagree. The world would "take some gigantic steps backwards
technologically" when reuse is suppressed. We are talking about design here,
not manufacturing. Even the industries of cars, journalism, biology,
pharmas, etc. have chosen to share knowledge and collaborate. They don't
benefit from isolation, unless the company at hand is an aggressive
monopoly.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Proprietary, lockin-based tools lead to regrets. Doc(umen)tor, heal thyself.
roy      pts/4                         Fri Mar 16 07:46   still logged in