Re: Modern Linux Distribution on 486DX with 16MB of RAM

__/ [ cc ] on Friday 16 March 2007 10:48 \__

> On Mar 16, 5:33 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 16 March 2007 08:32 \__
>>
>> > Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Another important issue is owenership. With CSS you write code to be owned
>> only by your employer. When you leave the company, say farewell to your
>> 'baby' -- the very same code that you wrote. Oh. Now that I read the text
>> below I see that Mark addresses the same point.
>
> What industry is that not the case?
>

>> In conclusion, I refuse to write code which is fruits of my own
>> work/intellect and then block it out of mind/sight despite the fact that
>> it's free to replicate. All the code I have been writing remains my
>> property and, given pursuit for the right job, you are able to convince
>> the employer/client that sharing of the work with others does not
>> necessarily impede progress or increase competition for that one
>> person/company. In fact, the company/client gets attribution, credit, and
>> exposure. If free software is involved, the paying party will also
>> appreciate reciprocity, realising that what goes around comes around. You
>> get and you give. Everybody wins. Everyone is happy and progress is made
>> more quickly owing to reuse, low entry barriers ($), and sometimes a
>> community (volunteers).
>>

> I don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but there's no way
> someone is going to hire you and let you freely distribute the code
> you write.

I was hired in the past to write GPL-licensed code. The client gets what is
needed. If it is not a very competitive market, the customer could not care
less if the work is used elsewhere as well. Sometimes it's even encouraged.
Code is no commodity, unlike bread. It's like intellect. When you leave one
employer you don't shed off all the skills you have acquired. You move on to
your next job with certain knowledge in mind. Sometimes you even remember
code and algorithms that you can replicate for another employer, without it
counting as plagiarism. That is one among many reasons software patents are
a joke. Patenting simple ideas and recipes that involve no chemistry but
actual computer code (or intructions) make it equally easy to patent 'wiping
one's own arse'.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Is it a stupid sig? Why yes it is!
 11:00am  up 4 days 19:03,  7 users,  load average: 1.24, 0.72, 0.79