Re: Expect a Microsoft onslaught against OSS and Linux

__/ [ Robert Parsonage ] on Friday 16 March 2007 01:41 \__

> Vista has been a damp squid. OEM's asking what Linux users want. The
> Windows desktop is under serious threat. All vista offers is a revamped
> GUI, if you have the HW to support it (put to shame by xgl, compiz, beryl).
>
> Vista appears to be a troll killer as well. Where have all the Windows
> trolls gone? Defending the indefensible finally got home?
>
> Microsoft are not going to take this sitting down. Expect a new 'get the
> facts campaign' real soon now. Once the Windows trolls have been briefed
> they will no doubt plague this group again. Have heart, Linux and OSS are
> clearly winning.

It is already in the making.

Weather alert: new Microsoft FUD storm expected

,----[ Quote ]
| In recent weeks, Microsoft seems to have gone out of its way to put
| Linux down, while boosting Linux. First, there was the bribetop
| scandal; then, the Wikipedia 'correction' affair. Now, the company
| is up to one of its oldest tricks: playing games with analyst reports.
|
| This time around, Sunbelt Software is working with the Yankee
| Group, a research company with a poor reputation in Linux circles,
| to produce its "yearly major survey comparing Windows to Linux."
| Here we go again.
|
| What's wrong with that? I'll tell you what's wrong with it.
| Sunbelt is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner. In other words,
| they're buddies with Microsoft.

DiDiot has already responded to this (a few days ago)

Related:

,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
| "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
| fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
|
| [...]
|
| "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
| don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
| competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
| that we sponsored it."
`----

http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

Fighting Claims That Open Source Is Insecure?

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately there has been a HUGE push by Certified Microsoft
| Professionals and their companies to call clients and warn
| them of the dangers of open source. This week I received calls
| from 4 different customers that they were warned that they are
| dangerously insecure because they run Open Source Operating
| systems or Software because 'anyone can read the code and hack
| you with ease' they are being told. Other colleagues in the area
| also have noticed this about 3 Microsoft Partners or so they claim
| have been going out of their way to strike fear of OSS in
| companies that respond with 'yes we use Open source or Linux'
| when the sales call comes in.
`----

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/01/0413212&from=rss

A new Microsoft-commissioned anti-Linux study debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft seemingly has backed off from trumpeting its "Get the
| Facts" studies, as of late. But that doesn't mean the company has
| ceased commissioning research outfits to perform its anti-Linux dirty
| work.
|
| On September 25, Mercer Management Consulting released a new
| Microsoft-backed study. The study is entitled "Driving Lower TCO and
| Rapid ROI through UNIX Migrations." The synopsis: "Microsoft Windows
| the preferred choice for UNIX migration when IT organizations migrate
| servers as part of a focused effort to improve business processes,
| deploy critical applications or restructure their IT architecture."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/index.php?p=12

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy (in
Microsoft-commissioned study)

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
| soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
| ingredient -- other operating systems.

On Yankee Group:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Didio

,----[ Quote ]
| An example of her opinion on how Open Source Software is handled shows
| in this remark (quoted from a phone interview from her home in
| Massachusetts): "The thing about Linux is, you can talk about a free,
| open operating system all you want, but you can't take that idea of free
| and open and put it into a capitalist system and maintain it as though
| it is some kind of hippie commune or ashram, because if you can do it
| like that, at that point I'm like, 'Pass the hookah please!'" [1]
|
| Even recently, after admitting that a SCO victory in their case against
| IBM seemed like an extreme longshot, Didio said, "There is a larger
| issue, though: Even if the SCO case gets dismissed entirely, it does
| not remove the copyright cloud hanging over Linux and open source." [2]
|
| [...]
|
| Unsurprisingly, Linux advocates have in response heavily criticised
| DiDio. Typical criticisms are a lack of formal Computer Science
| qualifications and promoting studies funded by Microsoft; frequently
| this has resulted in questioning of her integrity and her being
| characterised as "a Microsoft shill".
`----

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Viruses to Linux are like cancer to a shark
         run-level 5  Mar 11 15:57                   last=S