Re: [News] Dell Asks Which Linux Distro We Want

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 15 March 2007 08:26 \__

>> __/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 14 March 2007 22:47 \__

>>> Here's another gem:
>>>
>>> "Update:  We're overwhelmed by your responses, and we know the survey
>>> server is overloaded too.  We're working on it, and the survey will
>>> remain open until March 23, so you'll have plenty of time to make your
>>> vote count."
>>>
>>> So, in other words, unlike the Vista release that they bent over
>>> backwards to participate in and which exploded on launch, there is so
>>> much interest in Linux that it's crashing their servers, and yet they
>>> consider it a *problem* ?
>>
>> Yes, I saw that earlier. DDOSed by reality. I guess they underestimated
>> the response.
>>

> There clearly is a huge demand out there for this stuff.  At some point,
> disruptive markets become visible to previous-technology companies -
> they key question being whether they can make serious inroads into the
> new market, whilst being up against the risk of cannibalising their
> current market.

My dad was using my computer (KDE) when he came over. He was doing just fine
with it and he was very impressed by Google Earth. I asked him why he did
not use Linux and he told me "I'll just use what there is on the computer. I
don't understand these things". So my parents, being people who occasionally
require the help of others when the PC goes titsup, would happily buy a PC
that has Linux preloaded. Like most people, they trust the major vendors.

People who get screwed by their operating system may finally get choice---a
getaway route. To quote an E-mail I sent yesterday, titled "Why Linux is
cheaper [and better]"

Someone said to me:
===
I have the most up-to-date virus software and have no virus on my
computer. I refuse to pay the £35 fine without being told what virus you
think I have. I am fed up with being disconnected for no reason: I pay
money for a service I am not receiving.
===

I replied:
===
Having an anti-virus, even fully up-to-date, does not guarantee that
Windows is secure from hijackers and Trojans. It does help however. At
the moment, Windows XP has several unpatched vulnerabilties that are
already exploited, without remedies available.

The terms of the contract say that the user must ensure the computer --
whatever software it may run -- should not put the network at risk. We
disconnect users when the computer engages in persistent activity that
can be characterised in this way, indicating that the computer is not
under the control of its user. I cannot tell for sure which virus is
said to have been detected, but perhaps I could enquire. Let me know if
you wish to get specific details.
===

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra