Re: [News] Dell Asks Which Linux Distro We Want

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 22:46 John Bailo wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Linux Learnings: We're Listening
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Thanks for visiting the Dell Linux Survey webpage. Please
>> | answer the following questions to help us determine how
>> | to best prioritize our resources for this effort.
>
> "We hear your requests for desktops and notebooks with Linux.  Weâre
> crafting product offerings in response..."
>
> MMM....They are crafting product offerings...is that anything like
> taking a distro and sticking it on a computer?

Not quite.

They are wondering how to offer Linux machines throughout the range while
maintaining a credible price list.

Also, they are worried no doubt about any wails of "Your computer doesn't
work with Linux" after millions of Linux n00bs buy it!  They can of course
(imo) solve this simply by shipping a bare machine and several un-re-worked
LiveCDs.  If it works with those, they are off the hook, and since you
didn't pay for your Linux and they didn't install it, you have no come-back
if *your* linux installation doesn't work.  I reckon that would solve
everybody's problem - we can buy a linux-viable PC off-the-shelf, and they
have no "Is it the H/W or is it the OS?" support problems.
If you want installation support, you will buy and install a supported
distro.