Re: Dell Asks Which Linux Distro We Want

  • Subject: Re: Dell Asks Which Linux Distro We Want
  • From: B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:39:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wednesday 14 March 2007 21:51 nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Mar 13, 7:25 pm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." <p...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Pick any one. We (the Linux community) will benefit because:
>>
>> 1) the h/w support issue will be addresed. If a user wants to switch and
>> open source drivers are available, porting them to a different distro
>> will be easy.
>>
>> 2) no Windows tax.
>
> That's what I told them.  I don't care if they don't load any (linux)
> distro, as long as the hardware is certified (say, for the leading 3
> or 4 distros), and no Microsoft tax.   That way you can buy with
> confidence and just load your preference.  It's so easy these days---I
> just loaded ubuntu on an older machine, and it took maybe 25 minutes.

It would do for me if they'd just ship a bare PC, together with 2 or 3
LiveCDs that they "guaranteed" to work with the H/W.
It would show that all the H/W was Linux friendly, and their "support" need
only entail "put the live CD in the slot and power up...." - no "linux
support" per se at all, just a demo that the H/W works with Linux.