Re: [News] In the Proprietary World, Everybody is Assumed to Be Criminal

  • Subject: Re: [News] In the Proprietary World, Everybody is Assumed to Be Criminal
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:50:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> ORG to enlighten music industry on DRM's limitations
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Hogge is upfront about the group's starting position, saying she'd
> | be very surpised if they managed to come up with a workable model
> | for DRM. "DRM is not good for consumers, let alone being a good
> | way of implementing copyright law."
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/13/drm_demystify/

Yes, a much less bigoted piece than the Inquirer's kiddy produced. I
think I'm just going to stick to El Reg from now on, until the other
team purge their dead wood.

> Speaking of being treated like a criminal/pirate:
>
> Dutch reject USB flash drive tax
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The tax was proposed by Dutch industry group SONT, which two years
> | ago also wanted to levy a tax for iPods and other MP3 players to
> | compensate music artists for revenue lost to private copying.
> `----
>
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03/13/dutch_reject_levy_on_usb_keys/

Cheeky BarStewards. How the funk do they know what I have on my
*general* *purpose* USB Storage device?

So they want to charge Mr. and Mrs. Woodentop ... *just in case* they
ever decide to store digital audio files on their USB stick.

That's almost as bad as the UK TV Licensing Authority sending
enforcement letters to non-payers ... in properties without a TV!!!
Based on the arrogant assumption that if you're alive, and live in a
house in the UK, that means you are automatically liable. No actually, I
don't think you even need to be alive, according to their criteria.

Then after the deceased owner of the empty property "refuses" to reply,
they send a white van round with surveillance equipment to catch the
evil blighter watching Eastenders (which is probably what killed him to
begin with).

As my granny used to say "If George Orwell were alive today, he'd be
spinning in his grave".

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.19-1.2288.fc5
 14:48:55 up 23 days,  2:14,  2 users,  load average: 1.64, 1.38, 1.33