[News] Study: Linux Distributions More Robust to Exterior Threats Than Mac OS X and Windows

2006 Operating System Vulnerability Summary

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as "straight-out-of-box" conditions go, both Microsoft's
| Windows and Apple's OS X are ripe with remotely accessible
| vulnerabilities.
|
| [...]
|
| The UNIX and Linux variants present a much more robust
| exterior to the outside. Even when the pre-configured server
| binaries are enabled, each system generally maintained its
| integrity against remote attacks.
`----

http://www.omninerd.com/2007/03/26/articles/74

Related:

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

,----[ Quote ]
| True to UNIX.
| Qualitative score: Windows gets a D+ while Linux gets an A-.
| "Bummer of a birthmark"
| Qualitative score: Windows gets an F while Linux gets an A.
| User data confidentiality.
| Qualitative score: Windows gets a B- while Linux gets a B+.
| Patch practices
| Qualitative score: Windows gets an A- while Linux gets a B+.
`----

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views/article.php/3665801

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is better at locking down a computer than Windows. The Linux OS
| uses configuration settings and user permissions to a much more
| efficient degree than the Windows administrator account. To do
| this, non-enterprise users should seek help from third-party
| security suites that serve as configuration managers, James
| Bottomley, chief technology officer of SteelEye Technology said.

Security Report: Windows vs Linux

,----[Executive summary ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/