Re: GPLv3 Draft Ready in 3 Days, Addresses Novell-type Deals

__/ [ leedavis546@xxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 28 March 2007 10:30 \__

> On Mar 27, 7:53 am, Mark Kent <mark.k...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>

>> > Next GPL3 Draft to be Released on Wednesday
>>
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > `----
>>
>> >http://technocrat.net/d/2007/3/24/16783/
>>
>> > Moglen's Speech on TheWorldAfter GPL3
>>
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>> > `----
>>
>> >http://technocrat.net/d/2007/3/24/16784/
>>
>> I have to agree with him - this is going to be a long and hard battle.
>> It warrants some analysis to consider who the players are, but here is
>> some off-the-cuff thinking, in no particular order:
>>
>> 1. FSF
>> 2. Groklaw
>> 3. MPAA/RIAA/BPI etc
>> 4. Television studios (Fox, Sony)
>> 5. Microsoft (with Novell)
>> 6. EC (Council, parliament, patent office & competition commission)
>> 7. USPTO
>> 8. HMG (Patent Office, quangos like MMC, Becta, Dfes...)
>> 9. BBC
>> 10. Google
>> 11. Ubuntu
>> 12. Red Hat
>> 13. Debian Project Team
>> 14. Linux Foundation (incl ex OSDL)
>> 15. Nokia
>> 16. Digium (Asterisk)
>> 17. Nortel
>> 18. Alcatel-Lucent
>> 19. Ericsson
>> 20. Dell
>> 21. Hewlett Packard
>> 22. Sun
>>
>> Any other thinking on this?  This is going to be the biggest game ever
>> played with respect to understanding the nature of property and
>> ownership as we head into the truly networkedworld.  The internet as we
>> know it today, just like the telecoms network it grew and thrived
>> within, are just the beginning of what our truly networkedworldis
>> going to look like.
>>
>> What do Arts and Sciences look like in a networkedworld?  How does
>> education work?  What function to countries and regions take?  To whom
>> do we pay taxes, and why?  What form does capitalism take as we know it
>> now?  How do we work the traditional commodity requirements such as iron
>> ore, steel, fuel (coal, oil, sun, wave, wind)?
>>
>> We're at a societal tipping point of enormous magnitude, and yet we have
>> a planet which is in the terminal grip of global warming, a population
>> which is mostly living in squalor, poverty and disease, with little or
>> no hope of emerging from it.  The OLPC project is the only thing I've
>> seen which makes a realistic stab at complementing the work of major
>> charities (like Oxfam, etc.) on sustainable infrastructure projects with
>> sustainable access to theworld'sgreatest knowledge resource, the
>> internet.
>>
>> If GPL3 is successful in its intention, then we stand a possibility of
>> networking theworldin an affordable way, of educating the citizens of
>> poverty-stricken countries, helping them step up from their humble
> [...]

Some of them (take for example Groklaw or the BBC) have no financial
interests. It's altruism, or even public service.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread
Mem:    514480k total,   484180k used,    30300k free,     6060k buffers