Re: Gnome Workspace Wallpapers

__/ [ NoStop ] on Friday 23 March 2007 16:04 \__

> thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I've always liked the multiple workspace feature of Unix/Linux/X11,
>> and I find myself using it more and more as my consulting business
>> grows more complex.  There is just one thing that bugs me, I can't
>> set different wallpapers in each workspace when using the default
>> gnome/metacity environment.  I used to use KDE, and I liked that
>> feature.  The different backgrounds were a useful visual cue to
>> recognize which workspace I was in.  Yes, I can kludge it into
>> working with the third party hack wallpapoz, but that has some
>> shortcomings, and it seems to be incompatible with the beryl
>> workspace switcher.
>>
>> A poll over at gnomesupport.org shows the feature is very desired
>> by the users, but it evidently has not bubbled up high enough for
>> the core developers to implement it yet.
>>
>> Heck, maybe I'll just go ahead and do it.  This stuff is open source
>> after all.  :)
>>
>> Thad
>
> Already exists in an app called Wallpapoz. Works well too. :-)

KDE does slideshow-type transitions, separately for each virtual desktop.
Been there for many years as a feature, but they changed the settings
interface radically  in order to make it more user friendly. One reason to
like KDE is all the functionality that's contained inside the box, without
addons.

Here's a nice little demo which shows Linux desktop with a video wallpaper
(sheesh! Don't tell Microsoft that Linux has been able to do this for quite
some time, _without_ upgrading to Ultimate Edition, which is what Vista
strictly requires to achieve this).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y (it's shown towards the end)

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
roy      pts/2                         Sun Mar 25 07:18   still logged in