Re: Tried Beryl Today

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 23 Mar 2007 04:41:36 +0000
<1652753.O0grOAAa7x@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 22 March 2007 14:59 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Wed, 21 Mar 2007 05:11:10 +0000
>> <8515519.Bp0WMvIX3h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> __/ [ 486box ] on Tuesday 20 March 2007 21:07 \__

>>> twm is set as my login manager at home.
>>>

>> Huh?  Twm is a *window* manager -- very light footprint, very basic.
>>
>> For login management, one uses xdm, kdm, or gdm.  (There may be
>> others; I'll admit to some curiosity.  Customization of xdm
>> is possible.)
>>
>> For session management, xsm used to be top dog, though nowadays
>> it appears to be integrated into the rest of the GUI environment.
>>
>> (Personally, I prefer metacity/Gnome.)
>
> Oops. I realised this shortly after I had posted. twm used to be my windows
> manager briefly, and xdm was the login manager. But KDE (running on just 256
> MB of RAM I might add) is my desktop environment, with KWin as the windows
> manager. In KDE 3.4 there's an odd bug which kills KWin if you press alt+F4
> in full screen mode. I don't know if it's distro-specific though. It may
> have been resolved since then... been well over a year.

I'm not sure what "full screen mode" is here, but Konqueror
does have a Settings -> Full Screen Mode in its menus.
Activating that puts Konqueror in full screen mode;
clicking on the K icon afterwards actually creates another
Konqueror instance, but is slightly confusing visually as
Konqueror merely appears to reset itself and put up a menu.

Alt-F4 does nothing interesting; I'd say that bug's been
partially fixed in KDE 3.5.  For its part if one fires up
Konqueror in Gnome's window manager, goes into full screen
mode, then hits alt-F4, Konqueror closes.  I'm not seeing
indications of anything crashing.

I set up gdm and KDE 3.5 as a test here.  I'd use Xnest
but Gnome intercepts the Alt-F4 and closes the Xnest
window, so I now have a dual X server setup.  I can extend
it to more than 2, memory and/or card memory permitting.
If I really wanted to get fancy I'd set up various depths.

Windows "one at a time" mentality is so constricting to me now. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };