Re: Is There A List? Linux Adoptions Too Huge To Track

  • Subject: Re: Is There A List? Linux Adoptions Too Huge To Track
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 05:34:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ flyer ] on Friday 23 March 2007 03:13 \__

> In article <iprbd4-3ck.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>, spam@xxxxxxx says...
>> Verily I say unto thee, that flyer spake thusly:
>> > I tried a few searches, but even smaller partial sector results were a
>> > bit overwhelming.
>> >
>> > The activity in testing and adopting Linux is astounding.
>> >
>> > Are there any sites which fairly accurately track this monster around
>> > the globe, perhaps even by distro, all in one big list?
>> >
>> > Maybe a list of Roy's adoption posts.

*gasp* I'm being adopted? What would momma say?

>> How's this for an overwhelming search?:
>>
>> (company | business | school | college | university |
>> education | government | user | users)  (move | moves | moved | migrate
>> | migration | migrated | migrates | switch | switched | switches |
>> transfer | transfers | transferred) "to Linux"
>>
>> Or replace "to Linux" with:
>>
>> to (Linux | Sun | Novell | "Red Hat" | "Open Source")
>>
>> You can also filter stuff out you don't want, with a minus sign, like
>> this:
>>
>> Linux AND Adoption -(Novell | SuSE | Ubuntu)
>>
>> (The "AND" is actually superfluous with Google).
>
> Thanks? (I gotta do some work??)
>
> I'll go grab a couple acres of quantum hardware and get going on it.
>
> I'll post the results in the volume between here and Alpha.

When a product gets sold, a company gains. In order to attract customer, it
need to establish reputation. Companies like Red Hat and Novell are in this
business for money, so when a contract is signed, a formal press release is
issued. Whether the mainstream press (or blogs, or anything else) finds that
press release interesting or not determines how (it at all) visible the
event becomes. Many announcement 'die' as soon as they emerge. They last for
no more than 24 hours (shelf life).

Forget what you know.

The 'Linux world' does not work this way. Companies gauge downloads on their
Web sites, unaware of where it goes, whether the software gets installed,
and if so, how many /copies/ are being installed (deployment). With
Web-based OSS you have to deal with intranets, so there's no visibility, no
tracking. Only millions of download, where each one can serve an entire
department (not to mentioned copies that are exchanged by hand, or over
local networks).

Linux is growing. Nations seem to favour customised Debian-based
distribution. Who sells it? Nobody. It's all happening under our noses.
Forget about search engines and Web stats, which are rather meaningless for
a whole plethora of reasons. The same rules no longer apple. It's akin to
counting advisoried and/or patches, which is Microsoft way of turning stats
into lies, for the sake of short-term vanity.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, Open Source
  5:20am  up 11 days 13:23,  6 users,  load average: 1.04, 0.45, 0.44