Re: [News] Novell Seeks New Friends While the Community Turns Its Back

  • Subject: Re: [News] Novell Seeks New Friends While the Community Turns Its Back
  • From: flyer <flyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:00:47 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <2189025.QdeYWRqyU8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
> Novell Seeks Partners Across Linux/Windows Integration, Security, And More
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Novell is now on the lookout for more partners to work on-site at
> | customer locations to help out with product maintenance and optimization.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/newss/6372/1/
>
> What Novell could learn from Google
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In short, Google may have been willing to accept a legal fight in
> | order to protect its ability to mine video for money, yes, but also
> | to protect fair use rights for video on the Internet. If true, very
> | laudable.
> |
> | And very different from Novell's actions vis-a-vis Linux. Novell
> | claims to want to sell and proliferate Linux. But it has taken the
> | exact wrong strategy to do so. Instead of protecting Linux and
> | standing up for its integrity, Novell has slandered its reputation
> | with its dubious Microsoft pact. However Novell may want to color
> | it, the agreement implies that Linux is "Unclean!"
> |
> | A better strategy, then, would have been to stand up to Microsoft,
> | rather than to lie down and grovel before it. This would have made
> | Novell a champion, rather than the pariah it has become. There is
> | precedent for this, too, as Novell stood up to SCO in a similar
> | situation several years back.
> |
> | You can do better, Novell.
> `----
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/03/what_novell_cou.html
>
> Hovsepian's regrets nothing while Steinman apologizes
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | While Hovsepian has no regrets the same cannot be said for Justin
> | Steinman, Novell's director of marketing for Linux and Open
> | Platform Solutions, who has been forced to issue an apology
> | following misleading statements about Novell's contribution
> | to the Free Software Foundation.
> `----
>
> http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/03/hovsepians_regr.html

http://aaxnet.com/editor/edit041.html

"As I've been saying for years, "A Microsoft partner is a victim they
haven't gotten around to yet", but if you're already a Microsoft
competitor, a partnership agreement is more likely immediately
destructive."

"Whether there is actually any substance to this agreement is still a
matter of discussion and debate, but that's completely beside the point,
the damage to Novell has already been done."

"Novell apparently expected this agreement to be a competitive
differentiator for their SUSE Linux in competition with Red Hat and other
Linux distributions. It's a differentiator all right, and it's done
severe and immediate damage to Novell."